Welcome to the HillaPinnia blog.
Where you can read stories from the things I know, things I learn, and things i see.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Ants in my Pants!!! (literally)

I have to admit, I was really nervous about going to Guatemala, I'm not sure what I was expecting. Maybe I let the concerns(worries) of other back in AZ get to me or my lack of Spanish language skills made me nervous; regardless, I was trepidatious for the impending border crossing. Which is why I was thrilled three other people from my hostel, two American girls (Amy and Melanie) and a dutch guy(Phillip), were heading in the same direction. At first I figured we would just take the bus together and cross the border, but after the shared experience of crossing the Belize-Guatemala border and sweating out every ounce of water in our bodies riding in a dirty-stuffy bus, we ended up planing to spend more time together.

We decided to stay in Flores, an island village in the middle of Lago de Peten Itza. The hostel we wanted to stay in was full as were a few of the hotels we tried. Finally, we found a hotel room the four of us could share for $7 each. The room was sparse with four twin beds and a small bathroom, it was clean and right on the lake, with a spectacular view. Hot and sweaty from the bus ride and hotel search we decided to go to the lake for a swim. The water was clean and refreshing, I was shocked by the water clarity (I've never swam in a lake where I could see at least 10ft below me). At the lake we met a fellow traveler staying in the hostel on the island. He mentioned the hostel had a great vegetarian restaurant and our group decided to join him for dinner.

Back in the hotel room I began to unpack my bag when I felt a strange itchy sensation on my legs. I reached down to lift up my skirt(O fate, why was i wearing a skirt?) to see what it was and I saw about fifteen ants crawling up my legs, before I had the chance to fully process the ants on my legs, I noticed about 700 more ants crawling all over the Phillip's bed!!! I screamed before I was rendered speechless. I just keep pointing and gasping as the other girls ran over to see why I was freaking out.

Big black ants were pouring out of the wall! It was as if they were colonizing the bed and about 50 of them had made their way to annex my bed as well. We got the owner of the hotel, who acted as if nothing was wrong and offered to spray the ants and kill them. Ummmm, NO! "We need a new room" I said. After a few minutes, we were in two new double bedrooms. It was about this time I remembered there were at least 15 ants crawling on me and biting me. I jumped in the shower to rinse off the ants and discovered so many itchy little red bites I was yet again rendered speechless. I've not had good luck thus far with insect bites.

1 comment: