Welcome to the HillaPinnia blog.
Where you can read stories from the things I know, things I learn, and things i see.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Let's all dance the Quetzaltenango: It happen somewhere in or Around Xela

Xela, after 3 weeks, it holds a special place in my heart. A friendly town filled with a diverse mix of people and industries. It has its own culture, unique in Guatemala and the world. Things move slowly there but with the grace of a European city. Strangers greet each other in the street, locals are intrigued by foreigners travels and traffic overwhelms the tiny cobblestone streets.

In only a short time I meet many wonderful people, learned about local NGO and Peace Corps projects and improved my Spanish. Never a dull moment, the following are some of the many things I did in and around Xela.

*Fuentes Georginas
I showed up for my "shuttle" to Fuentes Georginas (natural hot springs) and discovered it was the back of a truck. Myself and a few of my fellow students jumped inside and we were on our way. As I bounced and braced myself in the back of the truck we ascend up one mountain after the other, the views were spectacular. Afternoon clouds were slowly descending on us and eventually we found ourselves traveling through a cloud.



When we arrived at the park there was a short and beautiful walk through the highlands to the hot springs. The springs were beautiful but I was shocked to find the springs were in structured pools; much like a European bathhouse. The water was very hot and had a slight smell of sulfur. The closer to the mountain run off the hotter the water. It was a very relaxing afternoon.


*Salcaja
A small village near Xela, with a large central market famous for its hand woven cloth. It was a nice afternoon. I saw the oldest Church in Central America, a traditional weaving demonstration and tried very-very strong Guatemalan fruit wine (moonshine).




*San Andres Xecul
The town is famous for this church! Crazy yellow, red and blue facade and dome. It has a circus like look.


But the real reason people come to San Andres Xecul is to pray to the patron saint of cigarettes, alcohol and prostitution. San Simon, also known as Maximon or Ry Laj Man, he an interesting figure in Guatemalan Catholicism and ancient Mayan belief. People come to pray before him, light candles and offer cigarettes.

I made paid my offerings.

1 comment: