Welcome to the HillaPinnia blog.
Where you can read stories from the things I know, things I learn, and things i see.

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Am I Getting Old

I imagine, am I getting old?*, is a question commonly asked by people in their mid 20s. Our lives are changing significantly from our college days, we are becoming progressively more responsible, financially independent and self sufficient. Our needs are changing and so is the way we have fun and socialize.

Before I began this trip I was going out most nights, social and having fun with friends. Since the beginning of my travels I found myself exhausted and not in the mood to be social or go out. Bar hopping in a foreign country just didn't sound appealing. In fact, going out in general seems to have lost its appeal. When I was in Belize, I finally caved in to the pressure of fellow backpackers to go out; the bars in Caye Caulker were interesting, many people were barefoot, there was sand on the floor. The bars did not have air conditioning and the music was hip-hop circa 2007. It was an odd beachy, time warp. Theoretically it could have been a fun night, instead I found myself sitting on the side watching others, some older, some younger, some my age having a great night. I just wasn't into it.

Consider the cliche, "age is a state of mind", if this is true, does my current state of mind make me older than other my chronological age? Is my current state flexible or is this a sign of a rapid decent to early bird specials and going to be before 9pm? (just kidding) I am traveling and having a great experience; but I wonder if I am missing out on a part of that experience by not spending late nights at bars and clubs with fellow backpackers. My fellow travelers might argue that I am. As the late nights are just as much a part of their travel as the hikes and chicken buses. I feel boring.

The question at the crux of my dilemma is simple. Am I over going out, late nights to bars and dance clubs or is this feeling temporary? Indeed, another cliche comes to mind, "only time will tell."


*for the purpose of this blog, "getting old" refers to the cultural perception of young vs old behavior. Not the chronological age of any given individual and in no way are the questions/thoughts put forward intended to be offensive or ageist.

4 comments:

  1. time will tell. do whatever makes you happy and do not worry about what you "should be doing"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hil, you are not old! you just don't want to drink and stay up late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My whole blog is about life as a "grown up". LOL! So I know how you feel... but...

    I agree though with Mel, that we shouldn't worry about what we do at what age. Just like a mom who freaks out because her kids aren't developing at the same pace as other kids, we shouldn't worry about what typically happens at specific ages. Just go with the flow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, this was the complete OPPOSITE of my experience in Central America, which was soaked in as much booze, dancing, and 'revelry' as it was in language, culture, history, and nature....

    Central America really comes to life when you let yourself go slow for a bit and and feel the beat of the life there. I know you're on a mission, but spend an extra day or two in Utila for me. And find my friend!

    ReplyDelete