Welcome to the HillaPinnia blog.
Where you can read stories from the things I know, things I learn, and things i see.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

the feeling that something is missing

As I prepared for and began my journey i found myself experiencing feelings I had never felt before a trip; I was sightly depressed that I would be away from my friends, family and social events. I know its silly as this adventure is something only a handful of people experience. Still the feeling that I would be gone for such long time hit me. I am simultaneously putting my life (at home) on hold and living my life to the fullest. I feel quixotic. In the past when I have left home for an extended period i did not have these feelings, instead I was excited for the break from my everyday life.

So what is the cause of my sadness? Am I co-dependent or less misanthropic? Do I have stronger-better relationships with people than i have in the past? Have i become comfortable with my day to day life?

I imagine it is a mix of all these things and neither a positive nor negative reaction just something to take note of...

Things I miss:
*my bed
*my cats
*friend and family
*the gym
*Friday nights
*spring weather and events in AZ

But then again, it feels wonderful to sit on the beach and be alone with my thoughts. I am conflicted and nonetheless, having the time of my life.

5 comments:

  1. Your cats and your bed miss you too!.....and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are having a blast. Keep the communication coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're OTHER family, at High Society, misses you too! Glad you are having fun and are safe. Looking forward to reading more about your daily adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Super interesting... From almost Day 1 of this trip, I've been feeling the same thing and it's taken me totally by surprise. I've never had it before either, whatsoever.

    I've been starting to tell people who know me how much I'm looking forward to a stationary life and they all think I'm joking (or crazy). There are innumerable priceless benefits to life seemingly-perpetually on the road or otherwise in flux, but the only people who can't fathom that there is a very viable and EQUALLY priceless sacrifice in having all the glorious stories, photos, experiences, and memories are the ones who have never experienced it.

    The value of travel isn't found in just the traveling and exposure to all things rich and exotic and wonderful, but in the deeper scope of appreciation you have for all things plain, mundane and "normal", even "boring". I am glad you understand this phenomenon and have felt and are feeling it too. You're not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hillary - I will have the twins "watch" you on your trip - safe travels!

    Alan, Linda and twins

    ReplyDelete