Welcome to the HillaPinnia blog.
Where you can read stories from the things I know, things I learn, and things i see.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Something I love, Something I am proud of:

One year ago today my doctor weighed me in at a staggering 249lbs. I covered my eyes as i got on the scale expecting a number near 220 and not wanting to see it. When the nurse said, "two hundred-and-forty-nine" I began to cry. I was shocked, I couldn't believe it, wrap my head around it, understand it. How had i gained SO MUCH weight(at least 50lbs) in only a year. As I wait for the doctor to come in the exam room, I was running every excuse I could think of for the weight gain through my mind. I knew it had to be a combination of things in my life and I knew I wanted to do something about it.

I knew thyroid disease (which due to lack of insurance-was untreated and unmedicated for 18 months) was the first offender. My 80 hour a week stressful job was on the list as well. But the cause of such a significant increase in my size was more than anything else, a lack of physical activity and poor eating habits. I would stay at my office until 9pm and then grab drive-thru before going home and passing out. Just to start another stressful, long and sedentary day all over again.

I felt unhealthy and unhappy. It wasn't just about the 249 on the scale, it was about my life. It was about working a more than full time job and going to school. It was my desire to have fun, sleep and travel. I felt like I was drowning and food(fattening food) was a comfort. I resolved to change my life. Step one, quitting my job, my supervisor and I were unable to communicate and there was no sign of improvement. I began saving money so that I could resign as soon as possible. Step two, making better choices about food: I cut out the drive-thru, I stopped getting coffee drinks with sugar and whole-milk, and i decreased my portion sizes. From March until my last day at work in May, I lost nine pounds.

May and June I attempted fad diets (no-carb, no-fat) only to freak out and binge within 5 days. But thanks to leaving my job and increasing my activity level I did manage to loose another 16lbs.

Then in late June I was visiting two friends in Portland who had both successfully lost weight with Weight Watchers. During my week long stay I observed them enjoying and not suffering with their diet. I saw them making choices and even splurging on a VooDoo doughnut. So, on a whim, I joined. Weight Watchers online is amazing! From the first day I logged in, I was hooked and within 2 weeks I was obsessed. I loved it!

Weight Watchers didn't put limitations on what I ate, it didn't have strange rules or require me to do anything but track what I ate and not eat more than my given number of points. The online module was goal oriented and asked me to track my food, water and exercise. If I did well it congratulated me, if I had a setback it encouraged me. I found an added support system in the online message boards and blogs. At first I spent hours online tracking every bite and looking up every food but as the weeks went by and I lost pound after pound it got easier. I was making really healthy choices without any effort. If I wanted to splurge I did and if I had a bad week I didn't beat myself up. For me Weight Watchers was working and working well!

As of this blog I have lost a total of 70lbs and am set to keep going. I still have setbacks and struggles. The Weight Watchers method is slow and losing only 1-2lbs a week can be frustrating. There are days it is still difficult to stay on track or feel motivated, sometimes I give in to a tempting and not so healthy craving but I never feel like giving up, instead I turn to my support system (friends, family, co-workers). I go to the gym and sometimes enjoy it. I celebrate my struggles and successes. I am proud of how far I have come and look forward to where I will go. I feel good and feel healthy!

4 comments:

  1. Wow Hill, that is awesome - CONGRATULATIONS. I know how you feel - if you've seen our pre-trip pics you see I put on a ton of weight before we left. Partially thanks to the gluttony of two cruises in a year, largely because of having a desk job and no soul after work hours, and partially because we loaded up on all our favorite crap food before we left, and it showed. Grotesquely. I've lost like 30 lbs since we've been on our trip (7 mos tomorrow), just by walking around and sight-seeing and not having fast food so prevalent, easy, or affordable...although we do still indulge occasionally. :) I think your upcoming travels will help even further. That said, I tried the whole time I was back home and wasn't able to succeed in going down on the scale like you did - just went the other way. So again, congratulations and great job! Keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great Hil!

    Congratulations... my mom and sister both did WW to lose weight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Hil, you are brave to be so candid about your weight and your size. I don't think i could do that. Thanks for sharing your story! You look great! Keep up the good work. You are phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job Hil. You worked so hard and you look fantastic! Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete