Welcome to the HillaPinnia blog.
Where you can read stories from the things I know, things I learn, and things i see.

Monday, March 22, 2010

The Sleeping Shark Caves

Really the sharks aren't sleeping, they are resting. Yes, sharks do rest! In the case of the caves, reef sharks, mostly nurse sharks, rest in the caves on the bottom of the ocean floor in a manner that looks as if they are asleep. As a diver and shark enthusiast, something like this is a must see!!!

Getting to the dive boat was a bit of an odyssey, the cab driver did not know where he was going and finally I asked him to stop and decided to walk the rest of the way and find the port myself. I arrived at the boat just in time to get my gear and jump on the boat. Once I was on the boat I realized that my dive master did not speak English, additionally, they expected me to assemble my own equipment, which I have not done in years! It was awkward at first, I was nervous, especially since putting one thing in the wrong place could be deadly, but I managed to get all off the pieces together on my BCD, regulator and air tank. The dive master then explained the dive plan in Spanish, I understood almost everything and was excited to see los tiburones.

It was an easy and relaxing dive with great visibility. The sleeping Shark Caves were amazing! I saw at least 20 sharks, including a nurse shark sleeping in one of the caves. The reef was so colorful and I saw a sting ray that was at least 5 ft in diameter. On the way to the second dive site I got sea sick. (I am not sure what to do about this motion sickness thing as it makes the things I love; traveling and diving, very unpleasant.) The second dive was also very cool, we wound our way through a series of low hanging caves and coral formations and saw a school of barracuda(didn't know they travel in groups?). Diving is relaxing and exciting but also makes me very-very hungry. I spent my afternoon on the island eating burritos, mangoes and churros while laying in a hammock on the beach and pondering how I managed to get a sunburn only on my knees.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! I'm living vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete