Welcome to the HillaPinnia blog.
Where you can read stories from the things I know, things I learn, and things i see.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

my first use for duct tape

I arrived in Caye Caulker without a place to stay. This was not by choice, rather budget accommodation in Caye Caulker is only available on a walk in basis. The only hostel on the island was full when I arrived, as were the first 6 hotels I went to, another group of hotels reception desks were closed so I don't know if they had a room. Finally as it was getting dark and I was getting desperate I found, Bella's, a hostel like place owned by a family. The one room they had to offer me was really more of a shack in someone's backyard than a room, it was made out of a combination of tree branches, metal panels, cardboard and a tarp. It was also a mosquito breeding ground. Nonetheless, it was all I could find and for $5 I decided I could take the room and then keep looking for another option.

After the Tulum incident I had no intention of being the main course for mosquitoes once again, so I kept searching the island for another option. Finally after knocking on closed reception doors and asking questions, I found Merlen's a slightly better option, I thought, was mosquito free. So I paid another $10 and stayed there for the night.

When I turned off the lights to go to bed I noticed the boards in the walls had huge cracks to the outside alley. Then there it was, that noise...NNNNnnnnnnnNNNnnnnnn! Mosquitoes. I got back up, turned on the light and tried to kill as many as I could, covered myself in bug spray and then, covered the cracks with duct tape (good call Kate). I slept OK but still woke up with more mosquito bites. I got up very early and wait at the only hostel in Caye Caulker until something opened up. The only thing that did open up was a private room for $27 a night, but it was worth every penny. Glad I brought the duct tape.

2 comments:

  1. Duct tape is amazing! I used it on blisters when hiking down into the Grand Canyon recently ... didn't feel a THING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have been FREAKING OUT! I don't know how you slept a wink. You're way tougher than me!

    ReplyDelete