Welcome to the HillaPinnia blog.
Where you can read stories from the things I know, things I learn, and things i see.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Do I like it enough to do it for a living?

It happened again, I spent way longer than I planned in Utila, Honduras. At $25 a dive it was addictive and I really couldn't help myself. SCUBA diving is one of my favorite things in the world and has been for more than 14 years. The water in the Bay Islands is calm, warm and filled with colorful marine life. Diving in Utila is phenomenal and not yet so popular it is crowded or causing damage to the reef system. I saw multiple wrecks, unique and diverse marine life and did an epic drift dive along a beautiful coral reef wall.




I love how I feel when I dive; I feel at peace, euphoric and alive in a way that I only feel underwater. Although, I received my initial certification just after my 13th birthday and my advanced at age 18; I always assumed I would be a recreational diver, doing it when and where I can. But in Utila I found myself surrounded by PADI professionals and people training to become PADI professionals. People who love their lives, live by the ocean and get paid to dive! How had I never thought of this before? Taking something I have loved since childhood and making it into a job.



I spent the next two weeks diving, diving, diving and finding out if taking my diving to the professional level is for me. I am still not sure, as I feel I need more time to consider the costs and how long I would like to work as a Dive Master or Instructor. However, in the past year it is the first thing which appealed to me as a means to make money and travel the world. Hmmmm...looks like I have some food for thought.


::view more photos from my time in Utila and Copan, Honduras::

No comments:

Post a Comment