Welcome to the HillaPinnia blog.
Where you can read stories from the things I know, things I learn, and things i see.

Friday, May 7, 2010

words and pictures don't begin to explain it

I can't believe I didn't originally plan to visit Semuc Champey. However, I am thankful I decided to listen to the recommendations of others and go. I don't know if I have the words to describe it. It is so beautiful and so peaceful that words and pictures don't even begin to show you how striking it is. During my stay in Lanquin and Semuc Champey I was in a state of jaw-dropping awe.

About one hour into the very bumpy eight hour shuttle to Semuc Champey I began questioning if the journey was worth what I would see. Five hot cramped hours in I decided it probably was not worth the journey and began to get cranky. When I finally arrived in Lanquin, my mood changed. I looked out onto a valley and saw the little hut by the river, where I would sleep for the next few days. My hut at the El Retiro lodge had great view and my own hammock on the porch. The lodge itself had an all you can eat dinner every night and a great bar. As a solo traveler this venue was great as it provided me the chance to meet others and have a great meal. Three hours away from the horrible shuttle and I was felling good.


The next morning the trip to Semuc Champey began packed into the back of a pick up truck with 20 fellow travelers. At first the truck ride was fun, but as the road got bumpier and steeper, I got nervous. I was standing in the back of a pick up truck with almost nothing to hold onto as it bounced and flew down unfinished mountain roads.

When I arrived in Semuc Champey I decided to take a tour of the limestone cave system carved by the same river that created the pools of Semuc Champey. The caves were dark and filled with cold deep water. The group used candles to light our way through the cave as our guide showed us geological formations, encouraged us to climb up waterfalls, through insanely small holes into complete darkness and jump from high ledges into pools so deep they seemed to have no bottom. It was physically demanding, sometimes cold and so awesome. I loved seeing how the river formed different areas inside the cave system.



After the caves it was time to go river tubing. Simple and relaxing it sounded like a nice break after the cave tour. As I hiked upstream with my tube, my legs were weak from the cave climb. I'm still not sure what happened but I slipped, fell and lost my tube. I just sat in the mud as I watched my tube roll down hill after hill. Finally stopping near the river. I awkwardly climbed down the slippery side of the mountain in my flip-flops to retrieve my tube and jumped in the river rather than climbing back up.


Finally, it was time to see Semuc Champey. I was so excited as I hiked to the limestone bridge that sends the majority of the water in powerful river under the pools. The limestone pools were filled with clear blue water and were wonderful for swimming. The picturesque waterfalls and jungle were a stunning back drop as I floated in the pools.




The truck ride back was bumpy and scary, but I felt so calm from my afternoon in the pools, I hardly noticed. That evening I relaxed in my hammock looking at the river and started to see why people said it was a magical place, time and stress do not exist at the El Retiro Lodge, in the town of Lanquin and at the pools of Semuc Champey. I spent 3 more days in that hammock.

2 comments: